Hives, also known as urticaria, are one of the most common skin conditions that can develop in people of all ages, often as an allergic reaction. This condition manifests as itchy and uncomfortable bumpy rashes on the skin. They may appear as small rashes or huge welts. So, how do you handle this condition?
If you encounter intense itching, severe discomfort, or persistent symptoms associated with hives, you should seek the assistance of medical experts like our dermatologists rather than waiting and allowing the condition to worsen. Our dermatologists may prescribe or recommend several pharmaceutical remedies, including the following:
- Anti-itch drugs: These are the standard treatment for dealing with hives. They are antihistamines that do not cause drowsiness. They may help reduce itching and swelling as well as other allergy symptoms. You can get them over-the-counter or through prescription.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs: These are prescribed if you have severe hives. We may prescribe an oral corticosteroid drug to help reduce redness, swelling, and itching.
- Drugs for suppressing the immune system: Sometimes, antihistamines and corticosteroids may be ineffective. We may prescribe a medication to help calm an overactive immune system.
Relieve Itching From Home
You can also try out the following ways to get temporary relief while at home:
- Do not overheat the area.
- Avoid tight clothes.
- Apply a cold compress to the itchy skin several times throughout the day (avoid this if your hives are triggered by cold).
- Try anti-itch medication.
- Prevent dry skin.
-Hives are more prevalent among children, but, luckily, the condition may quickly disappear with the help of medical experts like those at The Dermatology Clinic. We have been treating hives and other skin conditions in Baton Rouge, LA and the surrounding region since 1940 using the latest and most advanced procedures in dermatological care. Hives are quite common and have several causes. However, it may be possible to keep the condition under control through treatment. If you or your child is suffering from hives that seem to never go away, book an appointment with us today to start the journey to relief.
Image from Wikipedia